Sunday, October 29, 2006

IN THE MIX

** plaids and stripes are so chic here**

** the jury is still out, but I heart her anyway**


**Milla Jovovich mixes it up**


**Umm,not so much on Blu Cantrell...the floral headband and animal- on- animal is a no**



These days I'm really into mixing up patterns and prints. I was discussing this very thing with a fearless fashion friend of mine. She was describing an ensemble that involved a hodge podge of prints and wanted to get my opinion. I thought it was a fabulous idea and something that could be done subtly or taken to the extreme depending on your taste level.

As plaids, animal prints, and stripes take center stage this fall now is the perfect time to mix things up a bit. Layering is also a big trend for fall that easily lends itself to working with prints.

For those with pattern-phobia or if you're not really sure where to start I would suggest the the following:

1) Start out small with accessories that have pattern. Even if it's just a hand bag with a patterned lining.

2) Stay in the same color palette. This mix and match look is easier to pull off if you're working with colors that compliment one another. The beauty of prints is that you have a few colors to choose from when trying to coordinate. Little touches of necessary color can be added with tights or a vibrant belt. It should also be noted that mixing plaids with plaids and stripes with stripes can be considered overkill.

3) Proportion control. Depending on what you're wearing, work with small prints or pieces that have smaller repeated pattern throughout the garment. You don't want any one piece to overpower the outfit. It should all coordinate and flow together.

4) Proportion control: part 2. Keep the silhouettes somewhat simple and proportional. If you're going for volume up top, it looks more balanced if your pants are more fitted and vice versa). This is especially important for this look as things can get crazy very quickly.

Disclaimer:Of course I don't really believe in fashion rules, but we all know that there is a fine line between fashion forward and fashion victim. Fashionistas walk it proudly:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAAY!!! Well you know how I am your #1 fan with this whole thing, and the subtle shot out to yours truly shows you're learning the art of schmoozing quite nicely...(READ: Keep mentioning me, I'll keep it coming, oooookay...)

Okay, so I'm posting on this one cause as you know this fall's YSB look is what I've coined the Funked-out Sexilicious Sophistikitten. And it all starts with that one or two accessories that give 'wow' factor!

I donned my mixed prints this weekend during FAMU's homecoming with a red and khaki floral print tunic, straight leg jeans and leopard print peep toe pumps. Aaah...now talk about fashion euphoria.

Yo man, keep it comin' fashionista, you know I'm always looking for something. Now I need the zebra striped pumps and I'm looking for a WWJW tunic with some tight-funky-ripped-slightly-at-the-thigh-only-jeans.

Oh and your earlier posting on the I love black people tees? Mine is on its way in time for the Classic. Gotta show my black luv where I feel it most...at a HBCU game.

Don't be a groupie keep it movin'...

YSB

Anonymous said...

First of all I love, love, love this site. And if you don't love it, "hater get on your job"

Moving on, let us not forget the "thick" girls. It has been my learning experience that thick girls can wear prints as well. But please, and I mean please keep in mind you should not look like the animal of the print you are wearing. Keep it simple and remember prints for thick girls should be proportionate to your size(refer to #3 and #4 Proportion Control). And don't be afraid of the skinny jeans, just make sure you keep the top balanced.

Oh yeah, could you please show all of the down south gaucho wearers the error of their ways, please. If I have to see the same dam gaucho just in a different color and material I will just die.

I love the 80s as well and as my contribution to the movement I rocked a pair of leg warmers this weekend and I was sure nobody would be rockin the same element.

Well until next time......."Good Evening" (Remember that?)

ND said...

Awwww...I heart you guys. Thanks for stopping through. Come again now ya hear! :)

@Angie..I meant anonymous...haha, I remember that mess:)