Monday, September 25, 2006

THE CATALYST



If I had to name the single most influential factor on my sense of self (fashion included) it would have to be my mother. She would be the one on the far right. This is my favorite picture of my mother and her sisters back in the day. As you can see I come from a proud lineage of fashionistas. :) I wish I had more pictures with me, but I wouldn't want to risk them being lost in the mail! Trust me when I say she looks just as fresh in all the photos. What I love best about this one is that they probably made the dresses that they have on.

My mother is in her 60's now and raised 3 kids virtually alone. This woman was fly well into her 50's. Hell... She's still fly. I will forever marvel at how she managed to look so pulled together after having to deal with us. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She has always been gorgeous in an effortless sort of way. (What was it about women of a certain era that they always looked like this?)

Whenever I try to pinpoint where my love of fashion comes from, my mind always goes back to old pictures of my mother. Most of what I know about fashion is based on instinct and I know that I got that from her. So I guess you could say that mom is the catalyst, the jump-off, from which my love of fashion began.

No comments: